USBprog Firmware download workaround
USBprog is a universal programming adapter that can be used for different microcontrollers by installing different firmware. For this purpose a bootloader is used, which must be installed with another programming adapter first.
USBprog on GitHub: https://github.com/ykhalyavin/usbprog
USBprog bootloader: usbprog_base.hex
Very good documentation for USBprog by Bernhard Walle: USBprog.pdf (homepage: http://www.bwalle.de/website/usbprog.html)
Installing the firmware
The tool usbprog is used to install the firmware. This tool can be installed by entering
sudo apt install usbprogin a command prompt.
usbprog tries to fetch a list of the available firmwares from http://www.ixbat.de. Unfortunately the server has not been available for days.
Workaround to install the firmware with usbprog
usbprog tries to fetch the file versions.xml from http://www.ixbat.de/usbprog. It is not possible to update the firmware if this address is not available.
To solve the problem I downloaded the file versions.xml from GitHub, put the available firmwares from GitHub on this server and changed the addresses in the version.xml file accordingly. Now you have to proceed as follows:
- Download the file versions.xml
- Copy the file versions.xml to the folder ~/.usbprog
- Execute the command touch ~/.usbprog/versions.xml everytimes before you start usbprog
- Use the command usbprog download all to download all available firmwares
- Use the command usbprog upload xxx to install the firmware on the programmer